10.24.2009

Update: Hot Sling Carrier vs. Chicco Front Infant Carrier vs. Becco Carrier

Price: $47.99

When picking out a carrier I just couldn’t see myself using one of the back-pack style ones. Ryan had made it clear that he thought they were pretty lame, so I knew he wouldn’t be using it either. As a matter of fact, I’m not 100% sure I put any carrier of any sort on my registry specifically because I couldn’t see myself using it. I think it was actually when I went in after my baby shower to pick items up that I purchased the hot sling carrier. I’m very glad I did! I specifically picked this brand because I liked the material it came in more than some of the other sling-type carrier options.

Note: as you can probably tell from my picture and the product image (me: left, product image: right - LOL) I use it a little differently. Instead of placing it over my shoulder it hits around my neck. As he gets heavier I can see using it on my shoulder as being a more convenient way to balance his weight.

Update: I did in fact transition to using this on my shoulder more. When I did this, it made my arm less mobile. Considering the goal is to be hands free - it wasn't quite doing it's job. As Jude got heavier, the off balance weight got harder on me and put more strain on one side then the other. I still use this as a quick throw on carrier when Jude's fussy and I'm trying to get something done, but it's no longer by fall back (see below for new carrier).

Pro:
- Pretty pattern
- Very heavy/durable material
- Able to hold baby in a variety of ways. Comes with an instruction DVD (I never watched it) and a “how to” flyer to show all positions and recommends weights/sizes for each carrying position.
- Folds up super small so you can fit it in your diaper bag and pull it out when you need it. (perfect if you’re walking through the mall and baby wants to be held instead of sitting in the stroller).
- Very light so it doesn’t add extra weight to baby (if you can carry baby, you can carry baby in sling)
- Holds baby close to you
- Right now he’s still small enough that I can throw a burp cloth, pacifier, receiving blanket, whatever into the sling with him if I don’t think I’ll need his whole diaper bag.
- Comes in a variety of sizes to fit people of different height/weight.
- I’ve used it while cooking in the kitchen, taking him for walks, shopping, etc – makes things easily hands free.

Cons:
- Not adjustable, the size you get is the size you get – unless you know people who are the same size as you, it doesn’t transfer well from person to person.
- Can be warm in the hot weather – but not hotter than any other carrier.
- If we go for a walk with him in the carrier, he usually falls asleep – getting him out when we get home usually wakes him back up. Sometimes his bum gets caught when trying to lift him out, so pulling the sling down while lifting him can be a little tricky on your own.
- Most slings come in pretty feminine materials, but the inside is black and could probably be reversed.
- Pretty expensive considering it’s just fabric (A craft person could probably make one on their own).

Would I Recommend: Yes. I love my carrier and Jude seems to like being in it. But I would also like to experiment further with other carriers in the future as he gets older and takes up more and more space. But it definitely is something I’ll get plenty of use out of and is a great and simple alternative to carrying him around in his travel system.

___________________________________________________

Chicco Ultra Soft Front Infant Carrier
Price: $49.99












Pros:
-pretty easy to adjust with baby inside
-baby can be forward facing or facing inward
-comes with a detachable spit-up cloth
-male-friendly
-handy "cuddle pocket"
-straps are padded

Cons:
-can not wear on back
-only 2 carrying positions available
-difficult to remove baby by oneself unless you have a couch (or the like) nearby to assist
-I'm not sure what the weight limit is but I don't think this carrier is designed for a lot of weight(but then again I don't know how weight effects any of the other carriers either. This may just depend on the person carrying the baby)

Would I Recommend: If what you're interested in is a "front carrier" (as opposed to a sling, wrap, or backpack) then yes, I would recommend this product. It's pretty basic and treated me well. I can not give the male's perspective, as my husband refused to wear it (although I do recall one time when he put our dog in it). I may try the Moby wrap next time around.

Becco Carrier

Price: $139.99

Hot Sling Carrier
This carrier has become my new "go to" carrier. It's always in my car or with my diaper bag when I go out the door. I rarely put Jude in his stroller and so it's nice to have something to put him in while out and about.

Before purchasing a second carrier, I went to a "babywearing" class to experiment with different styles to find the one that's right for me. I tried on a few and this was the first one I put Jude in that he didn't try to fuss his way out of.

The link above is to the web page I purchased my carrier from. There are a number of other online retailers that sell this brand but every where I went, the price was always the same. I believe I chose this specific retailer because they offered free shipping, but some others had free give aways with purchases, etc.

Pros:
- After being 'properly educated' on what's good and bad for baby, I was informed that as far as posture is concerned, this is great for mom and baby. Carrier rests on mom's hips and takes a lot of the weight off her back. Well padded shoulders make it comfortable to wear. For baby, it supports the back and bottom well to support their spine shape.
- Comes in a variety of styles and colors.
- Has a detachable hood that can be used to while baby is napping. Apparently some children's heads fall 'back' and it helps to hold it in. Jude's head seems to fall 'in' and lays on my chest, so we use the hood mostly to block the sun while he's resting.
- The snap on the shoulder have an extra lock so baby can't unhook himself.
- There was another similar carrier that I looked at called the "ergo carrier" that boasts the same features. The Ergo however basically had you put the baby directly on you and used the flap to hold baby in place. This carrier however has an extra layer between you and baby, so baby is actually sitting in the carrier. It's extra support and in my opinion better.
- adjustable from one parent to another.
- There is an infant insert. Other similar style carrier required baby to be around 12-14 lbs to start using them. The infant insert that's provided with this carrier allows you to begin using this carrier at 7lbs. I personally do not have experience with this insert as Jude was big enough to use the carrier with out it.
- can transition from front carrier to back carrier which could be nice as baby gets larger. I personally have not used it as a back carrier to this point.
- Can even hold toddlers in a piggy back fashion while still keeping you hands free.
- I've heard that they hold their value well. If you put money out for it, you should be able to get a good bit back out of it if you ever go to sell it (this could also be a con if you're trying to find one used).

Cons:
- When talking to other mothers who had this carrier they complained about not being able to nurse their child while he/she is in it (this was the single biggest complaint I heard). As I said above, there is a thin layer of fabric between you and baby which is what's inableing that. I personally had no desire to nurse while carrying Jude, so this was not an issue for me.
- There are a lot of straps and buckles (one around the waist, one across the shoulder blades, it adjusts around the arms, the part that holding Jude in adjusts, etc). After a few times wearing it, I got very comfortable taking it on and off, but in the beginning, give yourself time to get situated. I'm still trying to work out the sizing 100%, but different layers of clothing, whether Jude's asleep or awake, etc can all have an influence on how he fits in it from day to day. If you plan to swap back and forth between you and your husband I can see it getting annoying to constantly have to re-adjust (but I'm guessing this is the case with any carrier other than a wrap like the Moby that barbie linked to above). Personally I'm fortunate enough to have a husband who has no interest in wearing it.

Would I Recommend: With out a doubt yes. I have been so pleased with it!

I'll also note that there was previously a Becco one. The model I got was the second and through my discussion with another mother it is much better! So, be careful if you plan to purchase a pre-owned carrier that you check which model it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment