10.24.2009

Recommend: bumbo chair


Alicia's Take:

Price: $39.99
Play Tray: $10.99

This was kind of a spontaneous purchase for me. I had heard that it was great for helping babies to sit up on their own and since we were working on that milestone, we decided to go for it while at BRU one day. We used it quite regularly when we first purchased it, but over time it's been getting used less and less (we seem to go through spurts on different items in our home based on where they're placed in the living room). Originally I would use it mostly with his tummy time mat. I would sit him next to the mat so that he could reach the toys hanging and he seemed to love it. Ryan also used it regularly to put Jude in while he was in the shower. I'm not sure why we don't use it as much any more, but I'm sure we're not completely done with it.

I'll also note that there are a number of different options (manufacturers) when it comes to these style chairs. I believe we chose the Bumbo brand because I liked the color green it came in and it was the name that stood out most. What I found neat was that they also sell a food tray to go with it (we never purchased it. we expected to go back when Jude started eating solids, but so far the high chair is my go-to seat for feedings).


(Barbie covered some pros and cons below, here are a few things I might add):

Pros:
- helps with stability and posture when learning to sit
- an nice alternative to tummy time for young babies who don't like being on their stomachs, while still keeping them off their backs.
- wide base keeps chair stable.

Cons:

- as Barbie will mention below it might not fit all babies well. Jude is on the slender-to-average side and fits well in the chair, but I could see how another baby may not. I really don't think I can imagine a 14 month old in this chair. I will note though, that because it's helping with posture, I think it's supposed to be a 'snug' fit AND because the material is flexible enough to give when moving baby in and out.
- Maybe not a con, but there was a recall on the packaging of this item which showed parents using this on a high surface. As with any other child items, don't use on tables, couches, counters, etc unless your child is supervised and within arms reach. It's just as 'dangerous' as anything else.
- when Jude would get tired of sitting up he would start to try and wiggle his way out. He would try to arch his back which would push him up in the chair. He was never able to get himself out, but it seems possible that a larger/stronger baby could.


Would I Recommend: Sure. If you are stretching for gifts, I'd tell you to recommend someone buy it for you. If you're strapped for money try and borrow it from a friend or skip it all together (especially depending on the size of you baby). Because it's such a simple design and durable material I'd even say this is an ideal item to pick up second hand if you ever come across one, there aren't any straps or safety features that could be compromised with prior use.



Barbie's Take


(see Alicia's review of this product for pricing info and a link to the item)


I was lucky enough to have a friend let me borrow her bumbo chair for as long as I liked. This saved me a good amount of money, so I am very thankful.



Pros:

-its made of a great material.

-durable

-easy to wipe clean

-comfortable material

-comes in a few great colors. nothing too obnoxious.
-easy to transport.
-great to use during mealtime, or anytime


Cons:
-pricey
-the manufacturer says its good for babies ages 3-14 months. This is not at all true if you have a baby that is even slightly large. I don't think we were able to use it for longer than 3 months, tops (from months 3-6-ish)
-if your child has chubby legs his/her legs will probably not want to lift out of the chair with ease

Recommend: Yes, I would recommend this item. This is one of those items that I would try to borrow from a close friend before buying (obviously, since thats what I did). This is also a great item to ask someone for as a gift. I would definitely recommend someone throw it on their registry.

No comments:

Post a Comment