8.04.2009

Baby Bibs - A Double Take

Barbie's Take: In general I hate bibs. They cover cute outfits and my son used to like to put them over his face and then hyperventilate until we lowered it. But sometimes they are necessary. My son went through a big spit-up phase where he was wearing a bib almost all day long in an attempt to minimize outfit changes. Over time i realized the best bibs for spit-up and drooling are the Carter's Keep-Me-Clean bibs. The description says "they are constructed from cotton terry and feature an interlock lining with a water barrier interlining". Basically, liquid does not soak right through the entire bib. While it's not 100% water-proof, and your child's clothing will still get a little wet, its a much better alternative to your classic bib. I'm under the impression you can only get these bibs in a 3-pack, but they are all very cute designs. There are girly ones, boyish ones, and gender neutral designs to choose from. I should also mention they are fairly large in size as well (a plus for keeping clothes clean, but a con because it completely covers the top half of an outfit).



Alicia's Take: I remember when I was going through all of the outfits I got for my shower, I was amazed at how many of them came with coordinating bibs (and how many packs of bibs I got!). I separated the bibs from all the outfits though and put them all in a little canvas crate in his room for easy access after Jude was born. I maybe went back into that crate 2 or 3 times since then. I personally just never thought to put a bib on Jude and the few times I did, I thought they looked stupid and covered his adorable outfits. We personally had quite a few outfits that I put into Jude’s “too small” box unworn, so if he spit up on something I really didn’t mind changing his outfit because it was an excuse to circulate through more of his clothes before they no longer fit.

As Jude’s coming out of his spit up phase, he’s going into his drooling stage. It’s not uncommon for him to slobber all over the collars of his shirts. I’m sure if he was a winter/fall baby I’d be more concerned, but at a summer baby, it’s not like he’ll freeze to death if it’s a little wet and in the event it DOES get too wet I again, just change him.
Personally I just don’t see them being worth buying. But if they come with the outfit, it doesn’t hurt to have them hanging around just in case.

1 comment:

  1. I remember I got soo many bibs at my baby shower, I never really liked them either just bcuz they covered up the cute little outfits..and I never used them while I was breastfeeding. I did end up using most of them while we were transitioning into the more messy foods. I would just put one on while she was eating and then take it off. and it was a nice way to wipe any mess off her face.

    ReplyDelete