8.04.2009

Nursing Wraps

Basic Comfort Nursing Wrap
price: $10.99

Being that I am quite modest, a nursing wrap was a must for me. I registered for this wrap because it was reasonable priced and it seemed like a great idea. There is a special pocket at one corner of the wrap that contains a little weight. You are supposed to drape the weighted pocket over your shoulder so the wrap wouldn't slide off your shoulder and expose you. I used this wrap only twice but was very uncomfortable both times. Trent and I were new to nursing at the time, so I still needed to use both hands and my eyes to get him latched on. I ended up draping the wrap over my head so that I could get Trent latched. I looked ridiculous!! And I was very aware that I was not as covered as I would have liked to be. Once he was latched I peaked my head out from under the wrap and would continue to peak under to see how he was doing. While the weight definitely helped, it did not prevent slippage 100%. After using this wrap twice I went out and bought myself the "peanut shell" (see below)
_________________________________________

Peanut Shell
price: $29.99

Barbie's Take: The picture does not accurately show this wrap, in my opinion. There is a strap that goes around your neck, to keep it up, and a wire of sorts that creates a window for you to look down and see your baby. This is great for eye contact (bonding) and the baby gets more air flow (when compared to wraps like above, or a cloth diaper - which many people use). I would recommend this wrap to anyone who is modest and wants something more full-coverage. There are several different designs to choose from (especially if you would consider purchasing the wrap online). The only downfall, in my opinion, is that the wrap doesn't have enough fabric for a baby who likes to grab and pull. I find myself occasionally tugging after Trent's hands to keep myself concealed. I would like to try making my own with just a little more overall coverage.


Alicia's Take:When selecting a nursing wrap I remember browsing around at BRU and not being 100% sure which way to go – there were only so many options. After putting the standard nursing wrap (above) on my registry, Barbie told me it was a bad choice and to switch to the peanut shell, so I did! I found a pattern I liked (the vanilla bean design shown) and so was pleased with the overall quality. It came with a cute little burp cloth to match and an elastic band to hold the set together folded up tight.

Usually if I’m nursing outside of our home, I’m in my car in the depths of the parking lot (and when I’m not in the depths of the parking lot, I typically don’t care if someone’s staring through my tinted windows – don’t look if you don’t want to see), so a nursing wrap is not 100% necessary. In this situation, we get latched on and once we’re comfortable I toss a receiving blanket over my shoulder just in case someone walks by. However, the handful of times that I have used this nursing wrap I was pretty pleased with it. The little peep hole is convenient and much better than juggling baby and blanket while latching on.

As Barbie noted though, it could be bigger – and this is coming from two fairly small-medium sized women. If I’m not wearing a nursing tank top, then to get to the nursing bra my side-fat is exposed while my shirt’s up around my neck. I have contemplated purchasing a poncho style nursing wrap that goes all the way around my body to avoid the side-fat exposure, but considering how infrequently I use the wrap I currently have, I’m not sure that it’s worth the extra investment. All in all though I’d say the peanut shell wrap is worth the money and probably one of the best that BRU has to offer. If you’re shopping around online though, I’m sure you could find something with more coverage if that’s something you’re concerned with.

No comments:

Post a Comment