8.24.2009

Torn: Bottle Warmer

The First Years Quick Serve Bottle Warmer
Price: $19.99

I did alot of research while I was pregnant and found myself frequently on chat boards trying to find out what some of the "must haves" were and what some of the "waste of money" items were. I found that almost all breastfeeding moms said that bottle warmers were one of the biggest waste-of-money items out there. When it comes time to give your baby a bottle of pumped milk, they tell you to hold the bottle under running warm water until the milk is the desired temperature. Quick, easy & "free". Well, I went ahead and registered for a bottle warmer anyway. Turns out, Trent does not like cold, cool, or luke-warm milk - he likes WARM milk. Maybe we brought this on ourselves by using the bottle warmer from the beginning, but we'll never know for sure. Our daycare provider uses the ole running water trick and she says it takes approximately 8 minutes to get the bottle to the temperature Trent likes. The bottle warmer takes, oh, i don't know, 1-2 minutes. I'm very glad I went against the mob and registered for/got a bottle warmer. Of course Trent rarely gets a bottle from Kevin or myself these days, but it comes in handy for the babysitters; and it came in handy when Trent was younger.

Pros:
-pretty small
-easy to transport
-warms jars of food as well
-comes with a handy little chart and measuring cup
-light to let you know when its on and when its done
-accommodates all different style and size bottles

Cons:
-This thing can get HOT!!!! I've never had an issue with bottles burning, but i often worry that will happen. We usually take the bottle out of the warmer before its officially done.

Recommend: It got alot of mixed reviews on babiesrus.com but we like it....

4 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that you were not supposed to use a bottle warmer for breast milk. It said something about the nutrients being taken out of the milk if it gets to warm. Have you heard about this at all? I have been doing the water thing and it is annoying. I have a bottle warmer that I have not been using, but Brooklyn also likes her milk very warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely heard that you shouldn't use the microwave for those exact reasons! I dont think I ever heard that about a bottle warmer though. I guess I can understand why someone would say that though. I mean, i personally don't know what makes a bottle warmer work - all I know is that the warmer uses water to head the bottle, etc.

    Ok, i did a quick search and found this article on breastfeed-essentials.com

    When thawing milk it is best to thaw it in the refrigerator. This takes about 12 hours. If you need a quicker method you may hold the container under water that is gradually warmed or you may place it in a bowl of water that again is gradually warmed. Another, newer method that affords a faster warm is the Avent bottle warmer. This warmer allows for a gradual warm and has been tested on breastmilk and not shown to affect any of the milk's properties. Regardless of the method of warming you choose, shake the container before testing the temperature. Human milk should NEVER be microwaved or heated directly on the stove! These heating methods alter the composition of the milk and may result in hot spots in the milk that could perhaps burn your baby!

    Kellymom.com says:
    To warm milk

    Heat water in a cup or other small container, then place frozen milk in the water to warm; or
    Use a bottle warmer.
    NEVER microwave human milk or heat it directly on the stove.

    I personally refer to kellymom.com quite often and find it to be very reputable and up-to-date, so I say go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and did you know you're not supposed to shake breastmilk? it messes with the molecular structure of the breastmilk, etc. You should swirl it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok cool. The warmer I have is the Avent warmer. I beleive it uses steam to heat the bottle. I will definitly be using that from now on. And no I did not know your supposed to swirl it! Wow. Thanks for sharing. I guess it is like a baby version of a full bodied wine. LOL

    Thank Barbie!!

    ReplyDelete