8.11.2009

Recommend: Trent's Nursery (part 2)

Glider
Shermag White Glider w/ ottoman= $299.99
(im 85% sure this is the price we paid)
(from BRU)

My glider was an item I didn't jump right in to. Literally. When I was in the hospital first learning how to get Trent to latch on properly I was always sitting up in the bed with pillows propped around us. When I first got home I did much of the same. I would sit up on the couch or bed and prop pillows around me. It took me a few weeks to even sit in my brand new glider. The first few times I used the glider I didn't even like it. I felt like the baby was too high up when sitting on the boppy pillow. After just a couple days it was like a light switched was turned on. All of a sudden I was addicted to my glider. I didn't want to nurse him anyplace else. It was just so comfortable. We kept the glider in the living room while I was on maternity leave for convenience sake. When I returned to work we put the glider in the nursery. To this day I use the glider at least once a day....and it's not uncommon to see Kevin rocking Trent in the glider too. My biggest complaint (and it's a pretty big one) is that the locking mechanism on the side will lock on its own VERY OFTEN. Be it mid rock, or as I'm getting up. It wouldn't be TOO big a deal if it wasn't loud when it locked! I always worry it will wake the baby. It's very annoying!!! Perhaps an upholstered chair would have been a better choice. Or maybe we should look into fixing/removing the lock all together. Another thing I should note - these gliders are not designed for big people. They are just too narrow for a wide person to sit in. I don't know what Shermag was thinking.


Would I recommend: I don't know if the locking issue we're having is a defect on our chair in particular or not, so it's very hard for me to say. If I were you, I'd go to a few stores and try a few out.

_______________________________________________



Cordless Blinds

(from JCPenney.com)
Price= I got it on sale for $37.99. They are originally $70.00

A cousin of mine (also a mother) recommended I get cordless blinds for the nursery. Cordless blinds are just that, cordless. By going cordless you don't have to worry about a child choking on, or hanging from, the cord that often dangles from traditional blinds. You can get cordless blinds in several different styles, from several different stores. I went with a roman shade simply because I like the look. I ordered the shade from the internet, and I've never played with cordless blinds before, so I really didn't know what to expect. Kevin and I (probably more Kevin) hung the shade and were both very impressed by the functionality of it (for that price we better be impressed, right?). There is a little plastic clip in the center of the blind at the bottom that you hold and either push up or pull down. It's super easy. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone.

_______________________________________________


Closet Organizer
(from lowes)

No idea how much we spent but I'd guess it was between $50-$100

Lowes has a whole aisle dedicated to closet organization. From the cheaper stuff (pictured) to fancy wood systems. You can purchase something like I have pictured in either a kit or individual pieces. We went with a kit. It comes with everything you need except a few tools. I can remember using a measuring tape, pencil, drill, saw, and marker. You have to cut all the shelf pieces, allowing you to semi-customize the closet to fit your own needs. Of course I did some math wrong and ruined a few pieces, so we had to go back to Lowes. Like I said, they sell many of the piece individually, so it was very nice to only buy what we needed and not have to purchase a second kit. There are a few different styles and designs to choose one so make sure you look at all of the options. And make sure you measure your closet beforehand, just so you can be 100% sure you are buying the right material for your space. I love that we re-did this closet - it's so much more practical than what we had before!


Here is our "before"

No comments:

Post a Comment