8.10.2009

Medela Breast Milk Storage Bags vs Lansinoh Breast Milk Storage Bags - A Double Take

Medela Breast Milk Storage Bags
Price: $8.99 or $18.99
Quantity in Pack: 20 or 50

Barbie's Take: When registering for storage bags I decided to go with a couple different brands. To my surprise, I received both brands at my baby shower. Since everything else I was using was Medela, I went ahead and used my my medela bags first.

Alicia's Take: I purchased the Medela storage bags first because I purchased all my other breast pump items in the Medela brand. When I first used them, I thought I loved them but decided later they weren't the best.



Pros:
- conveniently hang from the Medela breast pump to pump directly into the bag.
- have a tab at the top of the bag to label with date, name, and number of ounces in the bag.
- Stand up nicely in the fridge for thawing frozen milk




Cons:
- short/fat structure take up extra space in the freezer.
- Only hold about 5 ounces (there was one point where I could get 6-7 ounces in one early morning pump)
- I have not seen them anywhere other than BRU.
-occasionally leak when thawing. tears "magically" appear sometime during the freezing stage. I now thaw all my bags in a bowl in the fridge because I got tired of wasting, and cleaning, the milk

________________________________________

Lansinoh Breast Milk Storage Bags:
Price: $6.99 or $11.99
Quantity in Pack: 25 or 50

Barbie's Take: This was the second brand of storage bags I tried. It is also the brand I have continued to use over the last several months.

Alicia's Take: One day after running out of my Medela bags I was at the grocery store. I browsed the baby aisle to see if they carried breast milk storage bags and they did! It saved me a trip to BRU which was super!




Pros:
- double zipper at the top for extra secure closure
- labeled for up to 6 ounces, but if needed, you can store more.
- significantly larger bags which makes it easy to lay them flat to freeze for more storage space.
- convenient tab for name, date and number of ounces.
- available at my local grocery store.
- cheaper


Cons:
- do not hang from the breast pump to pump directly into the bag
-occasionally leak when thawing. tears "magically" appear sometime during the freezing stage. I now thaw all my bags in a bowl in the fridge because I got tired of wasting, and cleaning, the milk. I'm not sure if this is more common with Lansinoh bags but I've heard other women complain of this happening to them as well (Lansinoh specifically).

No comments:

Post a Comment